History of Liverpool City Council

The history of local government in Liverpool dates back to 1848, when a district council was formed.  It was not until June 27, 1872, that the Liverpool Municipality was proclaimed and Richard Sadleir became the first Mayor.

Liverpool City Council's history is intertwined with that of Liverpool's community. 

Please click on the following highlighted links to find out more history about Liverpool City Council:


Timeline

1810 

Governor Lachlan Macquarie founded the town of Liverpool on 7 November.

1843

The District of Liverpool was incorporated, with Samuel Moore as the Warden and six councillors were appointed.

1848

The District Council of Liverpool was formed.

1877

Liverpool was proclaimed a municipality.

1890

Council opened the Gas Works in Speed Street.

1891

Cabramatta and Canley Vale separated from Liverpool and formed their own Council.

1906

The Liverpool Town Hall had a telephone connected.

1910

Senior staff at Liverpool Municipal Council were the Town Clerk, Assistant Clerk, Sanitary Inspector, Overseer, Gas Manager, Sanitary Collector, Valuer and Auditor.

1913

The Council met on alternative Tuesdays at 8pm at the Town Hall in Moore St.

1925

Electricity was first connected in Liverpool.  The Mayor, L.J. Ashcroft, performed the switching ceremony and 91 streetlights were illuminated for the first time.

1927

The Australian Gas Light Company took over the operation of the Gas Works from Council.

1928

The first female staff member was appointed at Liverpool Council.

1949

Nepean Shire Council ceased to exist, and part of its area was put under Liverpool's jurisdiction.

1960

Liverpool was declared a city on 9 November, 150 years and 2 days after founding.


History of the Administration Building

CouncilAdminWhen Liverpool Council was first incorporated in 1872 it occupied a rented house in Macquarie Street. Council purchased a block of land on the corner of George and Moore Streets in 1874 but it wasn't until 1881 that a Town Hall and Council Chambers was built there.

This building was extended in the early 1920s and again in 1939 to meet the needs of the growing population.  In 1957 a Civic Centre in Moore Street replaced this collection of buildings and Liverpool Library was established in the old Council Chambers.

By the 1980s both the Council and library were outgrowing their inadequate accommodation.

Liverpool's population had trebled since 1957 and demands on Council's services had grown enormously.  It was decided to build a new council administration centre on Hoxton Park Road. The site was part of 40 acres (17 hectares) of land originally granted to Maria Lock, an Aboriginal woman, in 1832.

Maria was the best student at the Parramatta Native Institution, the daughter of Yarramundi and came from the Hawkesbury area.  Maria married Robert Lock, the carpenter at the institution, and the land was granted to Robert Lock in trust for Maria as she was not entitled to own land because she was a woman.

The $5.1m administration building was partly funded by the sale of the property in Moore Street, though part of the site was retained for a new library.  Nettleton Tribe Architects designed both the administration building and the library.  The administration building which had been designed to last Council for at least 15 years was opened in August 1987.  It incorporates classical elements such as a portico and columns but in a thoroughly modern manner.


History of the CBD building

From post office to one-stop shop

OldLiverpoolCouncilBuildingThe building was previously occupied by Liverpool City Council's CBD office and built as Liverpool's post office.  It was opened in 1964 by Margaret Whitlam, wife of the then member for Werriwa and then Deputy Leader of the Federal Opposition, Gough Whitlam. New post offices had been opened at Fairfield in 1962 and Cabramatta in 1963 and Liverpool's post office continued to serve the growing city of Liverpool until 1992 before postal services were transferred to the Westfield shopping centre.

The old post office, which had been built in 1880, stood on the corner of Macquarie and Moore streets, adjacent to the new building.

The rapidly expanding suburban area around Liverpool as well as Liverpool's growing importance as a commercial centre meant the old post office could not cope with the increasing demand for services. The 1880 post office was demolished in 1968 to provide space for an extension to the new building. The extension did not go ahead and the site is now occupied by parking and landscaping.

In 1995, as part of a project to revitalise the Liverpool CBD, the redundant post office was bought by Liverpool City Council and converted into a one-stop shop for council business. Council had moved to new offices in Hoxton Park Road in 1987 and there was need to have a presence in the CBD. The CBD office is now an important part of Council's ongoing commitment to provide quality services to its ratepayers.


Liverpool's past mayors

From 1872 to present day
1872 - 73

Richard Sadleir

1874 - 75

Charles Ambrose Scrivener

1876

Stephen Pearce

1877

Nathaniel George Bull

1878

Thos Marsden

1879

Charles Ambrose Scrivener

1880

Louis Haigh

1881 

Charles Ambrose Scrivener

1882

William Richards

1883 - 85

Edward Charles Ashcroft

1886

William Smith

1887 - 1888

Nathaniel George Bull

1889

Thomas Whitford Taylor

1890

Charles Ambrose Scrivener

1891 - 92

Robert Clyde

1893 - 94  

Charles Ambrose Scrivener

1895

Alfred Cloke

1896

Frederick Chapman

1897

George Alfred Tullet

1898 - 00

James H. Moreshead

1901

Martin Christiansen

1903

Frederick Chapman

1904 - 08

William A. Smith

1909

H.S. Davies

1910 - 13

Ian Bossley

1913 - 14

G.R. Whitfield

1914 - 15

Leslie James Ashcroft

1917 - 19F.A. Suttor

1920 - 25

Leslie James Ashcroft

1926 - 28

G.R. Whitfield

1929 - 32

Thomas G. Bratchell

1933 - 34

J.S. Fitzpatrick

1935 - 37

J.F. de Meyrick

1938

A. Marsden

1939

A.H. Taylor

1940

A.J. Childs

1941

Hugh Jardine

1942 - 43

B.C. Fitzpatrick

1944

J.S. Freeman

1945 - 48

B.C. Fitzpatrick

1949 - 52

R.A Dunbier

1960

W.J. Bradshaw

1961

E. Smith

1962

R.A Dunbier

1963

W.J. Bradshaw

1964 - 67

E. Smith

1968 - 69

George Paciullo

1970 - 71

W.J. Bradshaw

1971 - 72

K.H. Napier

1972 - 73

L.N. Short

1973 - 74

J.H. Durrant

1974 - 75

F.A. Oliveri

1975 - 76

W.J. Bradshaw

1977 - 78

F.A. Oliveri

1978 - 79

 L.N. Short

1979 - 80

R.J. Hollands

1980 - 83

L.N. Short

1983 - 84

F.A. Oliveri

1984 - 86

C.R. Conway

1986 - 87

Craig J. Knowles

1987 - 88

C.R Conway

1988 - 89

G. J. Lucas

1989 - 90

R.J. Hollands

1990 - 91

Colin Harrington

1991 - 94

Mark Latham

1994 - 04

George Paciullo

2004 - 08

Gabrielle Kibble (Administrator)
2008 - 12 Wendy Waller
2012 - 2016  Ned Mannoun
2016 - presentWendy Waller