Liverpool timeline

Bigge-Park-HeritageTo view the Liverpool history timeline please click on the following highlighted links:


Liverpool's early days: 1798 - 1836

Year

Events

1798

  • First land grants in Liverpool area - on the bend of the Georges River - to George Johnston, James Healey, Michael Murphy, John Wixstead and Thomas Rowley.

1804/5

  • Grants to Eber Bunker, the 'father of Australian whaling' who built Collingwood and Thomas Moore who built Moorebank.

1809

  • Serious flooding along the Georges River forced people from their homes.
  • James Badgery was granted land between South Creek and what later became Badgerys Creek and built Exeter Farm.
  • On 31 December Governor Lachlan Macquarie arrived in Sydney.

1810

  • Collingwood was built on Eber Bunker's land, which is still standing.
  • On 7 November Governor Lachlan Macquarie founded Liverpool and named it after the Earl of Liverpool, then Secretary of State for the Colonies.

1811

  • Liverpool's first school house probably built in 1811. It was a two storey building whose upper story served as a courthouse for a time. Church services were conducted here until St Lukes was built.
  • The military barracks were nearing completion.
  • On 19th May Thomas Tyrrell, aged four years and five months was buried in what is now Apex Park - the first burial there.
  • Samuel Marsden also carried out two baptisms on this date.

1812

  • The Cottage of Content was built (demolished 1875).

1813

  • The road from Sydney to Liverpool was completed.

1818

  • Foundation of St Lukes Church laid by Governor Macquarie.

1819

  • The setting up of a pound was authorised at Holsworthy.
  • Commissioner John Bigge was sent to the Colony to investigate the administration of Governor Macquarie. It is believed that Bigge Street and Bigge Park were named after him.

1821

  • On 18 April Richard Guise was the first person buried at what is now Pioneers' Memorial Park after Apex Park was found to be too damp.

1822

  • The foundations were commenced for Liverpool Hospital (now Liverpool College of TAFE.) Liverpool was chosen as the site of a major hospital because of its ‘pure air and sweet water'.
  • Governor Macquarie left the colony and commented that when he first came to Liverpool in 1810 it was a thick forest, it now contained "a handsome neat brick-built church, a brick-built hospital, a provision store, barrack, school-house, parsonage house, gaol and several other government buildings".
  • He also mentioned "a wooden wharf or quay, in the centre of town, to which vessels of 50 tonnes can come to load and unload, which trade from Sydney to Liverpool, by way of Botany Bay."

1825

  • This is the date engraved over the Hospital door and may be when the roof was put on.

1828

  • Liverpool was one of the first country areas to open a Post Office in 1828. The first postmaster was Mr Meredith.
  • The population of 'Liverpool town and district' was 949.

1830

  • The hospital was completed.

1836

  • On 26 January the Lansdowne Bridge, designed by David Lennox was opened by Governor Bourke. It had been built with convict labour.
  • The Liverpool Weir, also designed by Lennox may have been opened later this year.

Liverpool from 1840 to 1893


Year   

Events

1840

  • The foundation stone was laid for the original All Saints Catholic Church, which was demolished about 1964.  Before All Saints was built, mass was celebrated in people's homes.

1841

  • The population of the district was 2,008 with 690 of these living in the town.

1842

1843

  • Liverpool was incorporated as a District with Samuel Moore as Warden, and six Councillors.

1846

  • The Liverpool area suffered severe bush fires.

1848

  • The District Council of Liverpool was formed in January.

1853

  • The Benevolent Society of New South Wales took over the Hospital to be an 'Asylum for Destitute and Infirm Men.'

1855

  • On 20th November, J.H. Atkinson of Sophienberg turned the first sod for the Railway at Liverpool.

1856

  • Sir William Denison declared open the line from Granville to Liverpool.
  • The foundation stone was laid for the Collingwood abattoirs.
  • Moore Theological College was founded in Liverpool.  This was later moved to its present site near Sydney University.

1868

  • The Paper Mill at Collingwood, possibly the first in Australia, was built.
  • Henry Haigh's Wool Scour was built.

1872

  • Liverpool was proclaimed a municipality on 27 June 1872.  148 residents petitioned for this move, even though it meant that in future they would have to pay rates on their properties.
  • Richard Sadleir became the first Mayor of Liverpool.

1890

  • The gas-works opened in July 1890 and the lighting of the first lamp was a cause of much celebration.

1892

  • Cabramatta and Canley Vale separated from Liverpool and formed their own local Council.

1893

  • Water was laid on in Liverpool.

From the turn of the century to WWII: 1901 - 1945

Year   

Events

1901

  • Population of the district was 3,901.

1906

  • Liverpool 's area was increased when the Parish of Holsworthy was added to it. During this year the Council committees were recorded as being: finance, works, gas, town hall, health, by-laws, park, library and hackney carriage

1907

  • The Liverpool Town Hall had a telephone connected.  The Council had first proposed installing a telephone in 1899 but one alderman described it as a ‘newfangled notion.'

1910

  • In 1910 the senior staff at Liverpool Municipal Council were: town clerk, assistant clerk, sanitary inspector, overseer, gas manager, sanitary collector, valuer and auditor.
  • In 1910 Lord Kitchener visited the Holsworthy area and recommended the setting up of a permanent army establishment on the site. 
  • Establishment of the Challenge Woollen Mill.

1912

  • 883 acres was acquired by the Commonwealth Government at Holsworthy for a Remount Depot and Veterinary Hospital.

1913

  • A further 16,868 acres were acquired for the Army at Holsworthy Liverpool Council met on alternate Thursdays at the Town Hall in Moore Street.
  • The Council's telephone number was ‘7 Liverpool' and the office was open for five hours on weekdays and two on Saturdays.

1914

  • With the outbreak of World War I an internment camp (the GCC or German Concentration Camp) was set up sat Holsworthy for POW.  Later some  POW were also interned here.
  • A training camp was set up at Holsworthy for soldiers preparing to go to the front. Initially this camp consisted of tent accommodation.
  • In September the 3rd Light Horse was transferred to “Holdsworthy” (as it was then called).

1916

  • In February an army riot began at Casula Camp with the rioting soldiers later joined by those from Liverpool Camp.  Troops broke into hotels and later commandeered a train to the City where the riot continued.  One man was shot dead and six injured.  This event resulted in ‘six-o'clock closing' being brought into New South Wales hotels.
  • Publication of William Freame's Early days of Liverpool.

1917

  • The branch line from Liverpool through the Army Camp was completed.

1918

  • Liverpool Chamber of Commerce was formed.

1919

  • Returned Soldier Settlement Scheme farms set up at Chipping Norton and Hillview.
  • Influenza epidemic - many internees died at the German Concentration Camp.

1921

  • Population of the area was 6,302.

1922

  • Formation of the Southern Districts Tennis Association.

1925

  • Electricity switched on in Liverpool for the first time.  Power was purchased from the Department of Railways and the main substation was at Warwick Farm. 
  • Australian Gas Light Company took over the Liverpool gas works and soon after supplied all Liverpool's gas needs from the city mains.

1928

  • The first female staff member was appointed at Liverpool Municipal Council.

1929

  • As part of the local unemployment relief scheme men were employed to demolish the old Moore College and Thomas Moore's House.  The Colonial Hall was later built on the College site as part of the relief work.

1931

  • R.A. Lovejoy and F.A. Crowe started the Collingwood Golf Club, using Collingwood House as a club house.

1932

  • Archdeacon R.B.S. Hammond set up Hammondville to provide housing for families whose breadwinner was out of work.
  • In June of the same year the Green Valley Progress Association was formed.

1937

  • Celebration of the first hundred years of Catholic Education in Liverpool.

1938

  • With the build up of the Citizen Military Forces a further 33,860 acres was obtained for the Army from the NSW Government on a permissive occupancy agreement. By this time the army area had extended to 54,000 acres.

1939

  • Publication of Ward and Olive Haard's history of Liverpool, called Liverpool: the story of an historic town.

1942

  • American troops quartered on the Warwick Farm Race Course and at Hargrave Park.

1944

  • Commencement of the building of HMS Golden Hind, a British Naval establishment at Hargrave Park.
  • By this time at least 6780 Australians, mostly of Italian origin were interned at a camp on the Anzac Rifle range - the previous internment camp earlier been taken over for other uses

Liverpool since 1945

Year   

Events

1946

  • HMS Golden Hind taken over for temporary housing at what became the Hargrave Park housing settlement.

1947

  • Population of the Liverpool Municipality was 12,692.

1949

  • Nepean Shire Council ceased to exist and part of its area was transferred to Liverpool.

1958

  • The 'new' Liverpool Hospital was opened.
  • Formation of the Liverpool and District Historical Society.
1959
  •  Freedom of Entry was granted in to the Corps of Royal Australian Engineers.

1960

  • Population increased to 30,000.
  • Distribution of electricity taken over by Prospect County Council.
  • Liverpool declared a city on 9th November 1960.

1961

  • Official opening of the Liverpool Technical College (as it then was) in the building which was originally built in the 1820s as a hospital. 
  • Building commenced for Green Valley Housing estate.
1968 
  •  Michael Wenden won two Gold medals (100m and 200m freestyle) at the Mexico Olympics.

1970

  • First Liverpool Festival of Progress held.

1972

  • Dedication and opening of the new All Saints complex.
  • Opening of the Liverpool Shoppingtown (Westfield).
  • Fire at Woolworths and Big W Liverpool in October - Phoenix Plaza built in its place

1973

  • Motor racing ceased at Warwick Farm after twelve years of competition.

1977

1982

  • Conversion of Casula Powerhouse into an arts centre.

1983

  • Opening of the E.G. Whitlam Centre.

1985

  • Badgerys Creek chosen as site for Sydney's second International airport.
  • Celebration of Liverpool's 175th birthday with the dedication of the Liverpool Heritage wall, located adjacent to the Old Courthouse.

1987

  • In February the Library Plaza and Council Administration Centre were opened.
  • Founding of Liverpool District Family History Society.

1989

  • Opening of Liverpool Bicentennial Museum (now Liverpool Regional Museum).

1992

  • Renaming of Holsworthy Village to Wattle Grove.

1993

  • Construction began on a new four stage development of the Casula Powerhouse.

1994

  • December - opening of Macquarie Mall and unveiling of Cenotaph.

1996

  • January - publication of Christopher Keating's history of Liverpool, On the Frontier.
  • May - announcement by the Federal Airports Corporation of a new environmental impact study to be carried out for both Badgerys Creek and Holsworthy as sites for Sydney's second Airport.

August - opening of the new Liverpool Central Library.

  • December - publication of the Oral History of Badgerys Creek A Little Bit Country.

1997

  • Official opening of Stage One of the new Liverpool Hospital