Building certificates

A building certificate is issued underSection 149Dof the

Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

It has the effect of preventing Council:

  1. From making an order (or taking proceedings for the making of an order or injunction) under this Act or the Local Government Act 1993 requiring the building to be repaired, demolished, altered, added to or rebuilt

  2. From taking proceedings in relation to any encroachment by the building onto land vested in or under the control of Council, in relation to matters existing or occurring before the date of issue of the certificate.

Council is the only authority that may issue a building certificate.

For more information please click on the following highlighted links:

How do I apply for a building certificate?

You can apply for a building certificate by completing an application form which can be downloaded from here: Download application for building certificate form. 

Alternatively, you can phone the Customer Contact Centre on 1300 36 2170 and a form will be sent to you.

A fee is also payable at the time of lodging the application.

You will need to submit the application with a current survey. Old surveys are only acceptable if no additions or outbuildings have been constructed since the date of the survey.

Sometimes Council may need more information, for example building plans, specifications or certificates to help assess the application.