Composting and Worm Farming

Composting and worm farming

Did you know?worms

...that by composting or worm-farming your kitchen food scraps and garden waste and not disposing of them in your red-lid bin, you are not only helping the environment but producing some fantastic nutrient-rich fertiliser which can be used to make your garden really bloom?

All your food and garden waste (except meat and dairy products) can be reused at home.  Composting and worm farming are easy to do and Council would like to make it even easier for you.  Council is willing to help you by providing:

  • A $50 rebate for any compost bin or worm farm you purchase
  • Workshops and trouble shooting
  • Sources for further information.

Where can I purchase a compost bin or worm farm from?

Hardware stores and garden centres sell compost bins and worm farms.  For worm suppliers look under worms in the Yellow Pages.

How do I get my $50 rebate?

All you have to do is: 

  1. Download, fill in and sign the form
    Composting And Worm Farming Rebate Form

  2. Attach your original receipt (it must include the place and date of purchase on it)
  3. Either mail your form to Council:

             Worm-farming & Composting Rebate
             Sustainable Environment
             Liverpool City Council
             Locked Bag 7064
             Liverpool BC
             NSW 1871

    Or drop it off at:

    Council Customer Service - Level 2, 33 Moore St, Liverpool  

  4. We will mail you your cheque (cheques are sent at the end of every month) or direct deposit it into your nominated bank account
  5. Come along to a workshop to set yourself up and get your system working well.

You must live in the Liverpool area to claim a rebate. There is a limit of two rebates per household.

If you already have a compost bin or worm farm...

Do you already have a compost bin or worm farm that isn't working quite right?  Do you need to start again?  Then come along to one of our free workshops.  They cover how to set up a compost bin or worm farm, how to maintain them and troubleshooting.

If you would like to come along to a workshop phone 1300 36 2170 to find out the date of the next workshop or check this website.

Click here to download the Composting factsheet

Click here to download the Worm-farming factsheet

Disposing of food scraps

If you don't have access to a compost bin or worm-farm, Council requests that you dispose all food scraps (including fruit and vegetable peelings) in your red-lid bin.
Composting and worm farming

Dispose of garden waste (lawn clippings, flowers and prunings, twigs and small branches, leaves, weeds) in your green-lidded bin.

Please do NOT use plastic bags or bin liners in your green-lid bin. Click here for more information about Council's Green Waste service.

Townhouses and villas will be provided with green-lid garden waste bins on request at no additional charge to the resident. Generally they will receive a green-lid garden waste bin each, however, if garden areas are small, then one garden waste bin will be provided between every two townhouses or even one between every three townhouses in some cases. Contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 1300 36 2170.

Rural properties may dispose of garden prunings in their red-lid garbage bin.

If you need to dispose of bulky garden waste you can use our Household Clean Up Service. To book contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 1300 36 2170.

Last updated on 27 Nov 2017