Animal Care

Cats and dogs and are an important part of the community. Many people enjoy having an animal for fun, companionship and security. It is important that all owners practice responsible pet ownership.

Compliance Information

The following compliance information is intended to help promote responsible pet ownership in the community...


Keep cats secured in catteries:

  • Contain cats, particularly at night, in order to restrict roaming outside its place of residence which can lead to potential nuisance complaints being lodged to Council (;
  • House training - placement of kitty litter, and provision of readily available food sources, including water;
  • Cats should wear a collar with name, address where it resides and the owner's contact number;Cats should have a bell attached to their collar to warn birds; and
  • If your cat goes missing call the Liverpool Animal Shelter.


Dogs should always be kept on a lead when out in public, except in off lead parks.

Train your dog to:

  • Reduce unnecessary barking;
  • Reinforce territorial boundaries;
  • Increase socialisation skills to reduce potential acts of aggression;
  • Exercise daily. Your dog should be exercised for at least half an hour per day;
  • If your dog goes missing call the Liverpool Animal Shelter.

General information

Permanent identification (microchipping) of cats and dogs occurs from 12 weeks of age:

  • Lifetime registration of your dog (from 6 months of age);
  • Dogs and cats must wear identification tags attached to collars showing name and the owner's address and telephone number;
  • Restrain your pets from roaming free outside of the safety of your property;
  • Ensure adequate secure perimeter fencing surrounds your property to keep your pet in;
  • Clean up after your pet has toilet breaks within your property and in public places;
  • Reduce excessive noise from your pet.


Owners must:

  • Provide their pet with a balanced diet and clean, cool water at all times;
  • Provide adequate shelter suitable for all weather conditions;
  • Ensure they are well socialised, trained and exercised;
  • Make regular veterinary check ups;
  • If you have no plans to further breed your cat or dog, you are strongly encouraged to have it desexed (permanently sterilised) to prevent unwanted litters.

Make sure your pet is looked after when you go away. If you are using a cattery or kennel, make sure they comply with the NSW Animal Welfare Code. To report any animal welfare issues please contact the RSPCA.


The NSW Companion Animals Act, 1998 covers many responsibilities and liabilities as well as fines.There are heavy fines for dogs that are declared dangerous or restricted.

Council's animal education programs are delivered by staff from the Rangers and Parking Services Unit via:

  • School visits;
  • Attendance at Council open days and community meetings;
  • Information via the post addressing permanent identification and lifetime registration issues;
  • Patrols of parks and facilities;
  • On Council's website; and
  • Local newspaper articles on Council initiatives and animal management tips.

Please contact Liverpool City Council for more information.


A one-off fee applies for pet registration.

To register your pet, bring your pet’s identification certificate and any other relevant documents to Council's Customer Service Centre or you can email the documents and one of our friendly staff will contact you for credit card details.

Please note payments cannot be excepted unless all relevant paperwork has been submitted to Council.

You can pay online once you have created your profile at NSW Pet Registry. or email for pet registration fee enquiries.


Pet microchip records can only be created by a Vet, or an authorised microchip implanter.

Ensure they have added your pets microchip details to the NSW Pet Registry before you try to claim your pet.

Free microchipping

Council offers free microchipping of companion animals to local residents. For further information, contact Council on 1300 36 2170 or email us at

Change of Ownership

It is the responsibility of the person selling or giving away a dog or a cat to effect a change of ownership.

Change of ownership forms are available by downloading and completing the NSW Companion Animals Register Change of Owner/Details Form or by visiting your local veterinary clinic.

Unless your details are correct on the Register you may not be re-united with your pet if it is lost.

You must tell Council when:

  • You changed any of your personal details (within 14 days);
  • Your pet is missing more than 72 hours (within 96 hours); or
  • When your pet dies (within 28 days).

Annual Permits

Owners of cats not desexed by four months of age will be required to pay an $80 annual permit in addition to their one-off lifetime pet registration fee.

Owners of dogs of a restricted breed or formally declared to be dangerous will also be required to pay a $195 annual permit in addition to their one-off lifetime pet registration fee.

You can pay online once you have created you profile at the NSW Pet Registry website or email Council with a completed Companion Animal Annual Permit Application Form.

Injured Animals

Injured animals should be reported to the following organisations:

If your pet dies you must notify Council within 28 days.

Lost Pets

If your pet has been missing for more than 72 hours, please notify the following organisations within 96 hours:


Looking to adopt an animal? Search here for dogs, cats and other pets.

Dog attacks should be reported to council on 1300 36 2170 as soon as possible. The more information you can give customer service representatives, the better.

This information should include:

  • Where the attack occurred;
  • A description of the attack;
  • A description of injuries and whether medical attention was required;
  • A description of the dog(s) in question;
  • If possible, details of the dogs’ owners; and
  • Your contact details.

Once Council has as many of these details as possible, rangers will investigate the attack as soon as possible.

There are a range of solutions that may reduce your dog barking. Read about them in Council's Barking Dog Fact Sheet.

There are steps you can take if a neighbour’s pet is causing you problems. Talk to the owner as they may not be aware of the problem. If the owner is unapproachable or does not agree that a problem exists, you can contact the Community Justice Centre.

Where there is a barking dog issue, you must keep a record of the date and times of the barking dogs and submit a two week diary record to Council.

Please note that Council’s operational hours are between 8am and 4.30pm. If the alleged barking is mostly occurring outside of Council’s business hours, Council Officers will not be able to take enforcement action.

Please also see Council's Animal Management Standard.

Dog attacks

Call Council on: 1300 36 2170.

The Liverpool Animal Shelter is a no-kill impounding facility, and provides a safe, sound and caring shelter for all impounded animals in the greater Liverpool City Council Local Government Area.

Liverpool City Council has implemented its Urban Cat Management Plan 2021 to address increasing community concern around nuisance cats and uncontrolled cat populations in the local government area.

The plan provides a set of actions aimed at reducing cat roaming, soiling and noise complaints as well as promoting responsible pet ownership and improving the welfare of cats.

Click here to read Liverpool City Council’s Urban Cat management Plan 2021.