Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) is an urban water cycle method that considers and mimics the natural water cycle.
- Treats stormwater as a resource
- Mimics natural processes in the control of stormwater
- Manages water in a sustainable manner through considering the complete water cycle
- Is carefully designed, constructed and maintained to minimise impacts on the natural water cycle.
WSUD makes it possible to:
- Maintain and restore natural water balance
- Reduce flood risk in urban areas
- Reduce erosion of waterways, slopes and banks
- Improve water quality in streams and groundwater
- Use water resources more efficiently
- Reduce costs associated with maintenance of water infrastructure
- Protect and restore aquatic and riparian habitats
- Protect the scenic, landscape and recreational values of waterways.