For all Duty Planning enquiries, contact via telephone will not be available for the foreseeable future due to impacts on Council operations as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19). However, if you have a duty planning enquiry, email is still available. Please email your enquiry to

We will endeavour to respond to your enquiry as early as possible.

Many building and renovation activities can now be completed without you needing to lodge a Development Application to obtain approval from Council.

Typically, very low-impact works such as decks, garden sheds, carports may not need approval. See the page on Exempt Development.

Your application may be eligible for a streamlined Fast Track Lodgements. For tracking your application, planning rules, fees and charges and technical specifications, please visit our ePlanning Portal page.

If they are eligible, many other building works, including new homes, major renovations, new industrial buildings and demolitions, can now be undertaken as complying development. For further details see Complying Development.

'Sign off', or certification, is by a building professional – either an independent certifier or by Council’s own Liverpool Certification Unit.

For information on when Council approval is required in Liverpool, visit the Development Applications page.