Compost and Worm Farming

Did you know that by composting or worm-farming your kitchen food scraps and garden waste and not disposing of them in your red-lid bin, you are not only helping the environment but producing some fantastic nutrient-rich fertiliser which can be used to make your garden really bloom.

All your food and garden waste (except meat and dairy products) can be reused at home.  Composting and worm farming are easy to do and Council would like to make it even easier for you. Council is willing to help you by providing:

  • A $50 rebate for any compost bin or worm farm you purchase;
  • Workshops and trouble shooting; and
  • Sources for further information.

Hardware stores and garden centres sell compost bins and worm farms.  For worm suppliers look under worms in the Yellow Pages.

  1. Download, fill in and sign the Composting And Worm Farming Rebate Form
  2. Attach your original receipt (it must include the place and date of purchase on it)
  3. Either mail your form to Council:
    Worm Farming & Composting Rebate, Sustainable Environment, 
    Liverpool City Council, 
    Locked Bag 7064,
    Liverpool BC, NSW 1871
    Or drop it off at:
    Council's Customer Service Centre,
    Ground Floor,
    33 Moore St,
    Liverpool NSW 2170
  4. We will mail you your cheque (cheques are sent at the end of every month) or direct deposit it into your nominated bank account.
  5. Come along to a workshop to set yourself up and get your system working well.

Do you already have a compost bin or worm farm that isn't working quite right?  Do you need to start again?  Then come along to one of our free workshops. They cover how to set up a compost bin or worm farm, how to maintain them and troubleshooting.

If you would like to come along to a workshop phone 1300 36 2170 to find out the date of the next workshop or check this website.

If you don’t have access to a compost bin or worm farm, websites such as ShareWaste allows people who wish to recycle their food scraps and other organics to connect with their neighbours who are already composting, worm-farming or keep farm animals. This gives people who want to divert organic material from landfill but don’t have the means to participate in organics recycling.

If you don't have access to a compost bin or worm-farm, Council requests that you dispose all food scraps (including fruit and vegetable peelings) in your red-lid bin.

Dispose of garden waste (lawn clippings, flowers and prunings, twigs and small branches, leaves, weeds) in your green-lidded bin.

Please do NOT use plastic bags or bin liners in your green-lid bin. Click here for more information about Council's Green Waste service.

Townhouses and villas will be provided with green-lid garden waste bins on request at no additional charge to the resident. Generally they will receive a green-lid garden waste bin each, however, if garden areas are small, then one garden waste bin will be provided between every two townhouses or even one between every three townhouses in some cases.

Rural properties may dispose of garden prunings in their red-lid garbage bin.

If you need to dispose of bulky garden waste you can use our Household Clean Up Service. To make a booking, contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 1300 36 2170.