From 1 January 2021, Development Applications can only be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal and not directly with Council.

The following additional application types are also now only to be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal:

  • Construction certificates;
  • Complying development certificates;
  • Occupation certificates;
  • Subdivision certificates;
  • Private certifier packages; and
  • Building Information Certificates.

Council will continue to offer lodgement of other applications through our own ePlanning Portal and at our Customer Service Centre, as we continue to transition forms to the NSW Planning Portal.

Our one-stop-shop range of certification services includes issuing Construction Certificates, Complying Development Certificates, acting as your Principal Certifying Authority including conducting mandatory Critical Stage Inspections and issuing Interim and Final Occupation Certificates. We can perform these services for residential, commercial and industrial premises.

LCU offers:

  • An independent professional alternative beyond that offered by private certifiers.
  • Practical, honest and impartial advice
  • Inspections five days a week and same day electronic notification of inspection results.
  • An experienced team who keep on top of fast-changing policies and regulations to help you deliver construction projects on time.

Contact the LCU Team on 1300 LCC LCU or 1300 522 528 so you can get building faster.

We provide a complete inspection, certification and Occupation Certificate service for all development types.

Once you have either a Complying Development Certificate or Construction Certificate (following the issue of a Development Consent), you need to appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) before starting work. A PCA oversees the construction process.

The PCA will conduct an inspection of each required stage of construction and issue an Occupation Certificate (for any building work) when all the pre-conditions specified in the Development Consent have been met and the building is suitable for occupation or use in accordance with its Building Code of Australia classification.

A Construction Certificate is only valid while the Development Consent is still in effect, so works must be commenced before the Development Consent lapses.

  • All of our Building Surveyors are accredited certifiers with the Building Professionals Board.
  • We are located in Liverpool.
  • Every building surveyor at LCU has mobile access to all relevant and up to date Australian Standards and the Building Code of Australia.
  • Building staff have electronic access to the Development Application file, historical files and all of our data while in the field.
  • The majority of residential Development Applications are dealt with by our Building Surveyors, meaning that you can deal with the one person throughout the assessment and construction process.
  • No hidden cost fees. Once you engage LCU as an Accredited Certifier or PCA we do not charge for phone calls, letters and other incidentals.
    Note: Additional or re-inspections may attract a fee.

To appoint LCU as a PCA complete the Notice of Appointment of PCA and Service Agreement It will be attached to your LCU Construction Certificate.

For further information contact the LCU Team on 1300 LCC LCU or 1300 522 528 or email

Inspections by the PCA during construction are mandatory, and ensure what is being built is consistent with the approval and that the building will meet required standards.

The critical stage inspections required with your job are detailed in the Notification of Critical Stage Inspections attached to your Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate.

LCU undertake inspections Monday-Friday with same day electronic notification of inspection results

We request inspections be booked by 3.00pm the day before required.

To book an inspection call the LCU Team on 1300 522 528.

If you have an issue with a builder or contractor that simply cannot be resolved, NSW Fair Trading can help resolve contract disputes or licensing issues.  Fair Trading can be contacted on 133220.

Should you have a complaint in regards to a private certifier, it is recommended that you first contact them and try to resolve the issue.  Should you still not be satisfied with the result, you can raise your concerns via Complaints about certifiers | NSW Fair Trading.

In the event that you have a concern with a Council decision or service, you can always discuss the concern directly with us on 1300 522 528.


The LCU Team 1300 522 528

Email us on: