Future Urban Areas FAQs

The NSW Government commenced planning of future urban areas to the west of Liverpool in 2003. The areas which affect Liverpool are the South West Priority Growth Area and the Western Sydney Airport Growth Area.

This will depend on the demand for new development, the availability of infrastructure (particularly sewage), the supply of land and dwellings within Sydney, and the ability/willingness of landowners or developers to subdivide land.

Land owners will not be required to sell or develop their land.  However, in some instances, land may be reserved for acquisition by Council or another public authority, to provide for a public purpose.  This might include land to be acquired for roads or road widening, schools, parks, drainage etc.  Land owners will be compensated for the true value of their land in accordance with the Land Acquisition (Just Terms Compensation) Act 1991.

The State Environmental Planning Policy (Sydney Region Growth Centres) 2006 nominates the relevant acquisition authority in clause 5.1 (Relevant Acquisition Authority) of Appendix 8 (Liverpool Growth Centres Precinct Plan). A property owner may request that the nominated acquisition authority acquire the land prior to the land being needed on the basis of hardship imposed by the acquisition. In other circumstances, land will generally be acquired when it is needed for that public purpose (e.g. when a road is being widened or a school is being built).

A developer can not acquire your land, unless you are willing to sell to them. A developer may only construct infrastructure or otherwise modify your land with your approval.

Council land rate changes each year are determined by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal and are pegged against the value of the land. Whilst rates are not pegged upon the zone of the land, they may increase due to the land value increasing in association with the development potential of the land and the availability of infrastructure and services.

Development contributions (formally known as Section 94 Contributions) are paid by developers to Council to pay for new infrastructure and services such as community centres, drainage infrastructure, libraries, local road upgrades and the acquisition and embellishment of parks.

The Special Infrastructure Contribution is levied by the NSW Government on new development within the Priority Growth Areas.

Land within the Western Sydney Priority Growth Area will only be rezoned after the NSW Government has prepared and finalised a precinct plan for that area. It is likely that any rezoning will be done in stages across the Western Sydney Priority Growth Area.

Any proposed rezoning of land would require a planning proposal to be lodged with Council.  Anyone wishing to rezone land should contact Council to discuss any proposals prior to lodgement and to seek the services of a planning consultant to provide advice and/or prepare any information required for an application.

Liverpool City Council will assess and determine most forms of development applications, except major proposals which will be assessed and determined by the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE), or other relevant State or Federal Government agencies.

The Sydney Western City Planning Panel (SWCPP) will be the consent authority for any development with a capital investment value more than $30 million or certain public and infrastructure applications with a capital investment value greater than $5 million.

The Liverpool Local Planning Panel (LLPP), may also be the consent authority for certain developments.

Depending on the location of the land, Council may be able to consider a Development Application for another dwelling on your land.  The application will be subject to the new planning controls. It may be necessary as part of the Development Application to object to the minimum density standard that may apply to the land. In particular you should consider the following before submitting a Development Application:

  • The location of a new dwelling will need to show how the land can be developed in the future to comply with any minimum dwelling density requirements and the future street pattern when conventional subdivision takes place.
  • Each dwelling will need to have sufficient space for on site for disposal of sewerage pending the eventual provision of sewer infrastructure by Sydney Water.
  • There is likelihood that a monetary bond may be required by Sydney Water for the eventual provision of water and sewer infrastructure.